Ask Aunty S


Dear Aunty S:

My mother is in the early stage of dementia and as we are very close we’ve decided she should come to live with me now as she is very lonely and living together would solve this issue and then I will be her caregiver when she eventually requires one which the Doctor has assured us is a long way away. My dominating older sister wants to put her in into a Home now and move into her house. She has Enduring Power Of Attorney and she has told me I have no rights. My mother is devastated.

My Mum wants to go to Court to have the Enduring Power of Attorney overturned and my sister has told her she cannot do this, as the document is legal and binding. Do you think a Court would side with my sister?

My sister has already given notice on her rented house as she will be moving into Mum’s as soon as she moves her into a Home which is only weeks away.

Mum only gave my sister EPO because she is the eldest child and my father was old school and instructed my mother to do so even though she wanted to give it to me.


Aunty S responds:

What a little treasure your sister is!

Good news though; no need for Court my dear as your mother has only recently been diagnosed and with no major mental deterioration occurring as yet, she can cancel the Enduring Power Of Attorney.

Make an emergency appointment for today with your mothers Lawyer and you girls tell him what your sister/daughter is up too and I am sure he will set the wheels in motion immediately. He can email your sister a Revocation of the EPO as soon as your mother signs it.

Enjoy your life together and ignore any backlash from your sister.

She is a bully and the best way to treat a bully is not to engage, as that is what they want. Trust me, I know.

rose border